The modern version of cricket rarely see cricketers like Dravid, Jayawardene and Sangakkara who define the actual real gentleman’s game. With Sangakkara playing his last test, and retiring from International cricket altogether, we decided it’s time we compile a list of quotes which defines this two time Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World, the sort of aura he left on the game and the void that will be created by him leaving.
- I guess the Almighty wants them to leave on a high… Probably that’s why God put a hand in this match – Darren Sammy. This was when rain ensured that Sri Lanka enters the finals of last T20 World Cup and they finally won the World Cup with Sangakkara playing his last one.
- “He is an extremely messy person, the messiest on earth. But he loves to cook and absolutely loves making pasta at home.” -Yehali (Sanga’s wife) during an Interview to NDTV.
Well, his classy strokeplay made us thought otherwise. You can watch the entire interview here.
- I’ve gone on my knees and begged him not to retire. -Angelo Mathew
We all hope he never did. Like a fine wine, he has grown as batsman with time. The 2015 World cup is a sparkling evidence.
- “I’ve made fun of the fact that he’s got all these expensive watches but can’t be on time”-Mahela Jayawardene
Anecdotes by former captain of Sri Lankan team and a close friend of Sangakkara on his notorious habit to be late. Pretty sure, team wouldn’t have minded that.
- You were out first ball, run out in the next innings and now you have been shot! What a terrible, terrible first tour! -Kumar Sangakkara
GEM by Kumar Sangakkara on Tharanga Paranavitana’s debut series, in Pakistan in 2009. The ill fated tour in which team was under a terrorist attack.
So that’s Kumar Sangakkara for you, having played his last innings today. We’d like to congratulate him on his successful International career and hope his post retirement life is as sublime as his batting. Here’s the video of Guard of honor he received when he walked out to bat for last time.
Picture credits: Cricinfo.